Becoming a Contributer

Topics: Development Assistance, User Assistance
Coordinator
Feb 4 at 10:08 PM
Only a few people will be granted access to modify the master branch of the code. It's not because you are not trusted, it's because having more than a few people who can merge into the live track will cause problems. Rest assured we are accepting patches, even if you can't touch the production branches.

You should still apply to the project and you will get issue tracker privileges at the very least. If you have contributed to the previous site, especially if you have contributed a fix, you will get access immediately. If you are unknown, you may need to contribute a bit before you get more than just basic access - submit some pseudo code to an issue, help someone find a scrip snippet, or even just pick an issue in the tracker and make a fix. If you can show us you are not a malicious spammer by being helpful in basically any way that takes more than 10 seconds of effort, that will help.

Regardless you should definitely make a fork for yourself (which you can do without any privileges at all), and when you have a fix generate a "pull request" and it will be reviewed and merged if it does what it says and doesn't break anything. It doesn't even have to be the most ideal solution to the problem. We have lots of little problems, and even littler time. It will make me happier if it is the ideal solution, but if the day comes when we have fixed everything and have nothing to do we can always go back make things better. I'm projecting sometime in 2070 when I am trying to run a 4e game in the nursing home we will have everything fixed.

We also will need people who can be trusted to moderate the discussion board and issue tracker to keep it free of spam. It's not particularly likely we will get much, but I can't be the only person able to do anything about spam if it happens; sometimes I have stuff to do, and I'll not be able to police everything all the time. Just because you don't know how to code a fix doesn't mean you can't help. Every minute a coder spends fixing an issue or getting clarifications is a minute they aren't fixing something - if a non-coder can fix the issue first, it means the coder can spend that time fixing it instead.