Uploading to Git

Topics: Development Assistance
Feb 4 at 11:34 PM
Edited Feb 4 at 11:39 PM
I'm not a programmer. I have not used Git/Mercurial/Subversion for more than about 1 hour total. I'm not going to be a fantastic resource for help.

I did, however, find a Git interface that doesn't drive me crazy: GitEye. There are many alternatives, but this one doesn't make me cry when I look at it, and it's compatible with Windows, Mac, and Linux. If you find another program that will let you interface with Git and you would like to use it, you should feel free - if it makes you happy, it makes me happy. I probably just won't be able to help you with it.

GitEye is not the most user friendly program ever, but it works without much effort (I put the https address in the right field, put in my username and password, and it configured most of the settings for me). I can probably give you some rudimentary support for it if you are having problems. I only had to delete the main branch once when setting the system up because I'd botched it, so clearly I'm a savant who should be relied upon for vital support.

Alternatively you can decide that Git is a lot of work and you don't really want to figure it out. I totally understand - I just spent a few hours trying to figure out how to not install a Git interface on my computer, and that was only about half because I wanted it to be easier for everyone else. What you can do instead is submit your patches as comments or by attaching a .user file to the relevant issues, and someone else (probably me) will do the Git work for you. The attachment is limited to 4mb, which is plenty for basically any fix you might make. And since these are all text files, they will zip super tiny (10mb goes to about 1.4mb without any effort). It does mean that someone else will probably get credit (blame) in the change logs for your fix, but that's probably a small price.